Tuesday, July 7, 2009

China | Xinjiang | Urumqi

Update: Death Toll Rises to 156 in Ethnic Clashes in Western China. The riots have now spread to Khotan. Update #2: Internet service has now been cut to Xinjiang: China Locks Down Restive Region After Deadly Clashes.

My favorite city in China, Urumqi, is experiencing serious problems. See Riots Erupt in Western China Amid Ethnic Tension. Haven’t heard from any of my friends there yet. They are usually very hesitant to communicate by email, which they are convinced is monitored by the government. Urumqi is the capital of Xinjiang, which I used to visit quite frequently. Given the difficulty of acquiring Chinese visas here in the Big Buuz I doubt if I will be going back any time soon.

Downtown Urumqi

Uighur Market District in Urumqi

Uighur Carpet dealer in downtown Urumqi

Pomegranates in the Uighur Market